This photograph, taken around 1900, has the grass triangle known as Woodhead Green to the left in the immediate foreground, looking up the road towards Burley Woodhead. Sitting on the Green is the old forge, the premises of a general blacksmith and farrier, although specialising in quarry tools, picks and masons’ chisels for the local quarry trade on the nearby moors.
Opposite the forge, on the right, is Burley Woodhead School
The forge, and the row of terraced cottages on the brow of the hill are now long since gone, but the school building, now a private residence, still exists.
Moor Lane, to the left, heads down into Burley.